24-7 Healthcare logo

Funding and assessment

This article is reproduced from the NHS website about funding and assessments. If you, or someone you know, needs help to do everyday tasks or you’re worried about falling, ask social services for a home assessment. You can call your local council or do it online here: Apply for a home assessment.

What happens during an assessment?

An occupational therapist will visit you at your home. They’ll ask you questions and walk around with you to see what you struggle with. You’ll work out what you need together. Make sure you tell them everything you find difficult, even trivial things such as opening a cupboard. Assessments usually take at least an hour.

Needs assessment

Stairlift Founding and assessment
You might also be referred for a needs assessment to see if you could benefit from extra help at home. Have someone with you. Ask a friend or relative to be with you. It might help if you’re not confident explaining your situation.

They can also take notes for you. You can use an advocate if you can’t get a friend or relative. These are people who sit with you during an assessment and speak for you. They can also help you fill in forms. They’re often free.

Find an advocate in your area.

If you are self-funding – we offer free (no obligation!) assessments for equipment and aides. Contact us to arrange an assessment.

Getting help with costs of home adaptions

Small adaptations are often free. Your council should pay for each adaptation that costs less than £1,000. This usually includes things such as:

  • Grab rails
  • A concrete ramp or steps
  • Lights that come on when someone is at your front door

You might be able to get help with adaptations and aid costs

For expensive adaptations, like fitting a wet room or widening doors, you can try to get a grant from:

A Home Improvement Agency (HIA) can help you find schemes to help with the cost of adaptations. Find out if there’s an HIA in your area

Some local councils might be able to help with the cost of urgent home alterations – Check with your council or HIA.

Use this form to contact us

On this page, you can find all the details you need to contact us by email, phone or even on social media. Also, you can sign up for our newsletter, where we will inform you about our offers and some helpful information.

Please note: We do not sell our users’ details to any 3rd parties.

We only use your details to respond to your enquiry. We do not send out SPAM emails!