The Softform Bariatric Mattress provides a high level of individual comfort whilst offering effective pressure redistribution. Suitable for use on all types of profiling beds, the mattress is essential for individuals whose needs cannot be met with standard products.
Softform Bariatric by Invacare has the characteristics of all Invacare mattresses, by adding an additional thickness and an increase in the strength of the foam with which it is manufactured to ensure product longevity.
Its cover made of a multi-stretch fabric that prevents friction damage to the skin and prevents moisture damage and added to it a polyurethane base, which gives a much more rigid support to the mattress.
Invacare Softform Bariatric Mattress features
Added Protection and Comfort
Multi stretch, breathable, waterproof cover with corner welds, reducing the opportunity for accumulation for dust and liquid residues.
Integrated Glide System
The glide design and split section at the backrest section of the mattress enables it to conform effectively with a profiling bed.
Specialist cut foam
The specialist cut foam for pressure redistribution distributes pressure evenly, reducing the risk of pressure ulcers for the bariatric patients who will likely have limited range of movement.
- Designed to be suitable for obese patients.
- It has a maximum weight resistance of up to 340 kg.
- Since bariatric patients can have difficulty lying straight, the mattress has a cut to fit the mattress to a backrest, which is an advantage for many.
- The fabric is vapour permeable. This quality allows the skin to breathe and greatly reduces the damage caused by excessive sweat, a very common quality in obese patients.
- The ‘glide’ design and split section at the backrest section of the mattress enables it to conform effectively with a profiling bed. This significantly the need for unnecessary moving and handling, a difficult task for this group of patients.
- Multi stretch, breathable, waterproof cover with corner welds, reducing the opportunity for accumulation of dust and liquid residues.
- The base of the Softform Bariatric is made from a toughened PU coated material which is designed to extend the life of the mattress.
Softform Bariatric Mattress specifications
|WIDTH||1150 – 1200 mm|
|MAX. USER WEIGHT||340 kg|
|TOTAL WEIGHT||15 kg|
|COLOUR (OTHER)||Baltic Blue|
|MAX CLEANING TEMPERATURE (COVER)||80°|
The challenges of obese individuals
Obese individuals (a BMI >40, WHO 2000) have an increased risk of pressure ulcer development. In addition, due to reduced vascularity and profusion of fatty tissue, wound healing is prolonged, so preventative measures for bariatric individuals are essential. This mattress has been specifically designed to meet the needs of heavier individuals and the challenges faced by caregivers and clinicians in managing their care.
Preventing pressure ulcers
It can be challenging to prevent pressure ulcers completely, but there are some things you or your care team can do to reduce the risk. These include:
- Regularly changing your position – if you’re unable to change position yourself, a relative or carer will need to help you
- Checking your skin every day for early signs and symptoms of pressure ulcers – this will be done by your care team if you’re in a hospital or care home
- Have a healthy, balanced diet that contains enough protein and a good variety of vitamins and minerals – if you’re concerned about your diet or caring for someone whose diet may be poor, ask your GP or healthcare team for a referral to a dietitian
- Stopping smoking – smoking makes you more likely to get pressure ulcers because of the damage caused to blood circulation
If you’re in a hospital or care home, your healthcare team should be aware of the risk of developing pressure ulcers. They should carry out a risk assessment, monitor your skin and use preventative measures, such as regular repositioning.
If you would like to know how we can help don’t hesitate to contact us.